Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Contract

The contract that A K&B uses is fairly standard. You would recognize it if you’ve ever done a project before, and it would be what you’d expect if you haven’t.

The payment portion required 50% down on signing, 25% when work begins, ____% after ____, and ____% after ____.

We were discussing what to fill in those blanks and Jill suggested that they like to have some clear benchmarks so that there would be no ambiguity. Considering that three quarters would be paid before they would begin the construction, I considered this more of a detail than anything else. I suggested that I pay 15% when they said the project was done, then the last 10% when we said it was.

Both Jill & ray burst into laughter, thinking that was a jolly joke and congratulated me on my sense of humor. It seemed like a reasonable suggestion on my part.

I have no concerns that they’ll take care of any punch-list because they did so quite well with the kitchen (Jill does not yet know that I need another sink strainer basket replaced because the black coating is again coming off.)

No comments: